Ilex ‘Silver Queen’ is a popular evergreen shrub that is often used for hedging purposes. This holly variety is known for its attractive foliage, which features glossy, variegated leaves with a silver margin. The scientific name for this plant is Ilex aquifolium ‘Silver Queen.’ Here are some key characteristics and considerations when it comes to using Ilex ‘Silver Queen’ for hedging:
- The ‘Silver Queen’ holly is prized for its ornamental value. The glossy, dark green leaves are adorned with a silver or creamy white margin, creating a striking and elegant look.
- The shrub typically grows in a dense, bushy form, providing excellent coverage when used as a hedge.
- Size and Growth Rate:
- Ilex ‘Silver Queen’ is a relatively slow-growing shrub, making it manageable for hedging purposes.
- It can reach a moderate height and width, making it suitable for both formal and informal hedges.
- Site Requirements:
- This holly variety thrives in well-drained soil with a slightly acidic to neutral pH. It prefers a location with partial to full sunlight.
- Pruning and Maintenance:
- Regular pruning helps maintain the desired shape and size of the hedge. It is best to prune in late winter or early spring before the new growth starts.
- Year-round Interest:
- One of the significant advantages of using Ilex ‘Silver Queen’ for hedging is its evergreen nature. The foliage remains vibrant and attractive throughout the year, providing a continuous backdrop to your garden or landscape.
- ‘Silver Queen’ holly is versatile and can be used in various garden styles. It can serve as a formal hedge, a boundary marker, or a background plant in mixed borders.
Please see our GUIDE TO PLANTING HEDGES for more info.